Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God.  There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most."
Hebrews 4:16




In North Carolina it's that time of year dreaded by children, teachers, and parents from the first day of school in August.  It's that time when students are instructed to "get plenty of rest and eat a healthy breakfast".  Parents do their best to encourage their children without stressing them out about the importance of a test that can essentially cause them to repeat a grade.  And teachers and staff just try to stay sane while their "performance" is judged based on their students' scores.  What could insight such dread, fear, and stressfulness?.....EOGs, of course!! 

With three sons, we've had our share of End of Grade tests over the years since they began, and I can definitively say, "We're NOT fond!!".  We've always told our boys to do their best but not to let it stress them out.  Easy for us to say!!  They know what these tests mean and, though they put on a good face and pretend not to be worried, they get a little unnerved.

I have a lot of friends in the same boat and over the years we've made it a habit to pray for eachothers' children and the teachers and staff along with our own kids.  We text, email, and call one another with encouraging words and prayers.  This year has been no different.  I have two boys taking EOGs and one taking an AP exam.   So with my work cut out for me, I sat down with my prayer journal this morning ready to call on the One who can bring peace to the worried heart. 

Most of the time when I pray for others I say something like, "Lord, I lift up so and so to you".  But, for some reason, today I pictured God sitting on His throne with Jesus at His right side and me actually taking each of my children to the throne to be blessed.  I've seen numerous movies depicting a priest or a king surrounded by throngs of people seeking "blessings".  But never have I seen God in such a way.  I can't count the times I've read the words of Hebrews 4:16.  But it never occurred to me how very literal they are.

Today God gave me a glimpse into the Heavenlies.  I took my children right to His feet and He blessed them!   He touched them with His hand of blessing and peace.   Yeah, I know, it's just EOGs.  But contrary to what the evil one would have us believe, our God cares about every detail.  He wants us to "come boldly"!  I am so thankful that He does.  So much of parenting is learning that you cannot be everything for your children.  You cannot be with them and protect them 24/7....but HE CAN!   And at His throne "we will find grace to help us when we need it most."

Blessings,
Ann-Marie







No comments:

Links to this post