Monday, August 29, 2011

Just to Confirm...

Confirm 1. To support or establish the certainty or validity of; verify.

"After His baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on Him.  And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my dearly loved Son , who brings Me great joy.'" 
Matthew 3:16-17

Lately God has been doing a lot of confirming in my life.  I don't know about you, but I like confirmation.  To be honest though, I have always felt that my need for confirmation pointed to my own weak faith. 
Until today!

Today He brought Matthew 3:16-17 to my mind.  It's a familiar passage.  We reference it often in regards to following Jesus' example in baptism.  But God showed me another aspect of this occasion I had never considered. 
Confirmation!

When the Father descended in the form of a dove, He was not only saying He loved Jesus and was proud of Him.  He was giving us confirmation.  This Man is who He says He is, I'm confirming it!
Ohhhhhh...I never thought of that!

God knew we would need confirmation from time to time!  I guess the real gauge of my faith here is not do I need confirmation, but do I even realize it when He gives it.  Am I so busy asking for it that I don't see it right there in front of me?

My God is so good!  No matter how long it takes for me to learn something or how many confirmations I need, He is patient.  He never says, "Ann-Marie, when are you going to get this?".  Instead He lovingly reminds me.

Oswald Chambers was so right when he said,
"Faith is unutterable trust in God, trust which never dreams that He will not stand by us."
Links to this post