Friday, August 12, 2011

ME of little faith!

"Jesus responded, 'Why are you afraid?  You have so little faith!'..." Matthew 8:26

Jesus had to have a little sit-down with me this morning.  He had to give me a little pep talk, a gentle reminding. 
"Ann-Marie, look at Me!"
If our family were to have our own reality show the editors would never need to use the "bleep" button, but one phrase they would probably hear from me continually is,
"Look at me!"
When I'm talking to my children, or anyone for that matter, I want to know that they are listening.  To me, listening requires eye contact.  Therefore, like a broken record, I repeat my mantra over and over to the rolling of my childrens' eyes, and their obligatory "yes ma'ams".
So, imagine my surprise when I found myself on the receiving end of my favorite phrase!
"Ann-Marie, look at Me!  You've lost your focus.  You're concentrating on the winds and the waves.  Nothing about Me has changed.  I haven't moved.  I haven't missed a single detail of your life. But you've taken two steps back.  You've thrown out panicky prayers of desperation.  You've reverted to depending on your own understanding, when you should be leaning fully on Me.  Where is your confidence in Me?  Come back to the refuge of My protective wings.  Rest in the confidence that I am in control and I love you."
Oh the sting of disappointment when you realize you've let The Father down!  When I could have been hearing "Well done, child!", instead I needed chastising.  It's a bittersweet moment.  On one hand I am regretful over the missed opportunity to bring Him joy.  On the other hand, I am thankful!   Thank you, Father for loving me enough to remind me when I am missing the mark.  Thank you for holding no grudges!  Thank you for encouraging me and giving me hope that overcomes my feelings of regret and disappointment. 
The journey of faith is very seldom travelled on a smooth, flat road.  It is wrought with the highest of peaks and the lowest of valleys.  But, by the grace of our loving Father, we learn to remain confident no matter what; not confident in our circumstances, not confident in each other, not confident in ourselves, confident in the only One who NEVER CHANGES!

"Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:7


2 comments:

Morgan said...

A sweet little reminder of HIS goodness!

Visiting from SITS :)

TrrayofSunshine said...

Thank you Ann-Marie! Much needed this week Amen!

Links to this post